Frequently Asked Questions

What is conveyancing?

Put simply, conveyancing is the legal process of transferring the title of a property from one person to another.

Why should I use a Conveyancer?

Buying or selling property is one of the biggest financial transactions or your life. A Licensed Conveyancer has an in-depth knowledge of the law concerning property transactions and is both qualified and experienced in this area.

Unlike law firms our sole focus is Conveyancing which means that we are not distracted by other legal matters and can give your sale or purchase our undivided attention.

Why should I use your firm instead of a cheaper option?

“You get what you pay for” is a common phrase in many parts of life and real estate transactions are no exception. Whether you’re buying or selling a property you need to work with certain professionals along the way. If you have decided to use the services of a Conveyancer you will want to try and find one who provides the highest quality services at the most reasonable price, this is what you can expect from NSW Property Conveyancing. Hiring a Conveyancer when buying or selling a house is not an area you should skimp on.

How are Conveyancers Regulated?

Licensed Conveyancers are regulated by NSW Fair Trading. In NSW a Licensed Conveyancer must renew their license annually to continue to practice as a conveyancer.

This process requires each licensee to undertake Continuing Professional Development courses, to keep up to date with changes in legislation and professional issues and ensure they are covered by a compliant Professional Indemnity Insurance policy.

You can check that any NSW Licensed Conveyancer holds a valid license using the NSW Fair Trading License Check.

Do all conveyancers carry professional indemnity insurance?

All licensed conveyancers must be covered by a policy of professional indemnity insurance. As occurs with every other type of professional, this insurance requirement is in place for your protection.

What is a disbursement?

A disbursement is one of the expenses incurred during the conveyancing process such as – title search, planning certificate, rates certificate, land tax clearance certificate etc. These documents either make up a sale Contract or are part of the post exchange searches for a purchase from local councils or government authorities.

When can I collect the keys?

After settlement we will notify the Agent by telephone and email. Once the Agent receives this notice they will then hand the keys over to the purchaser.

Who notifies the authorities that I have purchased a property?

We will notify the local council and strata manager (if applicable) of the change in ownership. However, the local council will often wait to update their records until they are notified by the Land and Property Information. You will need to notify the electricity company, telephone company, internet provider etc.